Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Home Stretch

Hey, everyone! It’s A.C., checking in. What’s happening?

Before we get going, I wanted to congratulate LeBron James on passing Brad Daugherty – (and me) – and breaking the franchise scoring record last Friday night.

Records are made to be broken, and if there was anybody I’d want to break my record, it would be LeBron James. What he brings to the game is what I hoped to be and strived for when I played. But the sky is the limit for this young man and there’s no end in sight. This is an incredible milestone for LeBron to accomplish, especially how quickly he achieved it.

But in my opinion, the L-Train starts counting points at 30,000.

I know he’ll be glad to get Boobie back into the lineup and that should be relatively soon. Daniel Gibson adds an outside presence that will open up the floor more, and teams will have to gameplan for him. With Boobie out there, the floor becomes open for LeBron, Sasha and Delonte – (if he stays aggressive) – to have driving lanes. And that’s a huge advantage.

On top of his other great attributes, Boobie creates floor-spacing.

Really, it’s just going to make a difference to have all our people healthy, finally. I’m looking forward to it. We’ve had everyone healthy for only 20 games this whole season – and we were 14-6.

I mention Delonte staying aggressive, and I think that’s a big key for his success and the team’s success. And I really do think Boobie and Delonte can co-exist on the floor together because Delonte is a pure point guard and Daniel is a two-guard in a point guard’s body.

Delonte came in here aggressive, and he’s since backed off. But I just think he’s going through another adjustment period.

Delonte’s game will continue to grow, and a lot of that will come with feeling comfortable and familiar with what’s going on. He’ll return to his aggressive style, because I know LeBron will tell him to go ahead and play your game. And as he continues to understand the offense – who to get the ball to, what plays to call – I think all that will come.

Of course, with only 10 games left the team’s goal is going to be try to get healthy and to become a unit. Understand what the rotation is going to be, with everyone getting focused and ready to play. That’s what you’re striving for these next 10 games – just getting ready to tackle the playoffs.

As far as who we play in the first round, right now, I really don’t care – as long as we have homecourt advantage.

Obviously, the one team that’s hot right now is Philadelphia. They’re young, hungry and they don’t know what they’re doing – they’re just playing. And that’s dangerous. I think Toronto doesn’t want us. I think Washington wants us, but they really don’t know what they’re in for. But Philadelphia has no clue. So they’re just playing.

I don’t fear anybody. I feel we have enough to beat anyone. But as far as looking at that fifth spot, Philly is the hottest – and maybe the most dangerous team.

Before I go, I wanted to talk really quickly about the NCAA Tournament. Around this time of year, a lot of people ask me if I’m thinking about my record of 61 points in a game.

I don’t really sweat the record because when I broke the record, I went 30 and 31. And it’s tough to do that the way they play now. They don’t run up and down the floor – you just don’t get that many possessions anymore. But Del Curry’s son – Stephen – (now that guy can shoot the basketball.) And if there’s anybody in this Tournament who can do it, he’s the one.

That’s if he got enough attempts. But really from here on out – Sweet 16 – the defense will dictate that you won’t get enough attempts to make that happen. It would probably have to be a blowout game, and there won’t be many blowouts from this point, forward.

So I think I might be safe for one more Tournament.

No comments: