Monday, December 10, 2007

Dipping Into the Mailbag

Hey, everybody! A.C. here – what’s happening?

I’ll check in with my regular blog later in the week, but today I wanted to answer some questions from my mailbag. If you have a question you’d like to ask, click HERE and send it in. I’ll try to answer the best ones at least once a week …




Comments: What do you feel is the "missing piece" for the Cavaliers? I know as I write this, they are decimated by injuries, but with a healthy line-up what do you feel would take them to that next level, as in, a player/position they could bring in OR improvements to current players (by "next level" I mean return to and WIN the Finals).

Also, just wanted to note that you are my favorite announcer in all of sports broadcasting; you call it like it is and I appreciate it! I am disappointed whenever I watch a Cavs game and you are not behind the microphone.

First Name: Steve
City: Youngstown
State: Ohio


Austin Carr: Thank you. I appreciate the kind words and I’ll keep trying to do my best.

I think two positions would help us out: One, is the point guard position – specifically a guy who understands how to be a point guard, not a guy learning to be a point guard. And they could use a backup center, so Anderson could back up Drew and we could get someone to back up Z.

I think those two players – or positions – could really solidify the team and take it to the next level.




Comments: Austin Carr...I simply adore you! I can't wait to watch the pre- and post-game shows just to see you and hear you! Have you ever thought of coaching? I think you would make an awesome coach ... just wanted you to know.
First Name: Peggy
City: Newton Falls
State: Ohio


A.C.: Peggy, first of all thanks for watching the telecasts. I appreciate it. But I’ve never really thought about coaching. If I was to do it, it would be on a collegiate level. Because I’m more of a teacher and it’s tough to be a teacher in the pros.

I have other aspirations, but not on the coaching end. Too frustrating!




Comments: I know a lot of fans have been very critical of Larry Hughes’ performance early this season. My question is this: How critical do you think Larry is to our team's success?
First Name: Joseph
City: Mayfield Heights
State: Ohio


A.C.: Larry is very critical to the team because he’s LeBron’s “running mate.” And now that he’s back and healthy and spent some time in the weight room, he looked like his old self in the last game.

He was really the difference in us trying to win it down the stretch. If he plays like that when LeBron comes back, we’re going to be very successful.




Comments: AC - Love hearing your voice on the TV. What is your favorite arena to broadcast a game in and why? Which is your least favorite?
First Name: Erik
City: Athens
State: OH

A.C.: My least favorite is Utah, because there’s no room to move – it’s like we’re boxed in. If I have to do an interview at halftime or after the game, I have to jump over eight people and it’s just ridiculous. All the other arenas are pretty good and I enjoy doing games there because there’s space, there’s room to maneuver. Utah’s arena is ridiculously tight; I don’t know why they do it that way.

I like New York and I like L.A. because of the theatrical lighting around the court. The rest of the arena is dark and the focus is on the court and it just adds a dramatic feeling to it. I like doing games in those two buildings – Staples and Madison Square Garden – for that reason.




Comments: Do you think it’s good for the Cavs to play without LeBron for a few games, so that they won't have to rely on him so much and learn to make plays without him?
First Name: Dolon
City: Roselle
State: NJ


A.C.: It’s very important. Even though we’ve lost six games in a row, the experience that those other players received is invaluable because now they’re more familiar with the offense. They better understand what LeBron goes through, because they’ve been the ones who’ve had to stand up and answer the call of duty.

It means a whole lot as far as the overall maturity of the team is concerned. It’s huge – you can’t put a price tag on it.




Comments: Austin, how much input are you able to give to the players on what you see them doing in games? Or is that not allowed coming from a media person? You seem to have a lot of opinions on how players can better themselves.
First Name: Gregg
City: Akron
State: OH

A.C.: It’s tough. There’s a fine line between me getting involved and not getting involved, mostly because I don’t know what the coaches are telling the players, or not telling them. I try not to stick my nose in there too often.

Every now and then, I’ll give a hint to a guy here or there, and I hope he’ll listen to it. But I try not to get too involved in it because sometimes coaching staffs frown on that, because I might tell a player to do something differently than the way they’re telling him to do it. So I try to stay away from that.

But if I get a chance to really see something that could help, I don’t think they’d mind me saying something.

1 comment:

jonjon said...

Austin,

I'm a longtime follower of the Cav's...Born and raised in Akron, Ohio, but now living in sunny Florida. I watched you play in Cleveland for many years. My question is: Why don't the Cav's give Shannon Brown a real chance to break into the line up. In my opinion he's a fantastic talent that just needs a real opportunity. Mark my word, when he's traded he's going to torch the Cavaliers for many years to come. I believe he's a perfect compliment to Lebron at the two guard spot. I've followed Shannon from High School and it's a shame all of his talents are right under are noses to be used. What is your basketball opinion on Shannon Brown? Should the Cav's play him not just for 5 minutes but as a starter to see how he works w/Lebron and the team or trade him? Thank you Austin for the memories!